The large Gingko trees :-)

Quantity matters, for both app performance and the power of the knowledge base.
I know some users keep lots of topics in Evernote and TheBrain, for me Evernote 8K notes and TheBrain 11k thougts.
So I am interested in the super large Gingko trees in our community —— maybe it’s a daily log for many years, maybe it’s huge book in writing, maybe it’s knowledge base for specific area……
How you use it ? How many cards ( or words) in it ?
Just share your stories of using Gingko. :grinning:

I use gingkoapp for outlining novels. My series outline is 18,000 words and my work-in-progress is 13,000 words. I’m actually drafting my third novel in the outline itself, so that word count will multiply very soon.

1 Like

SixSphinx,

I’ve been using Gingko for quite some time, however this is the first time that I’m using it to get a book together.

So far, I’m treating it like notecards spread all over the floor - some being just a few words and others several paragraphs—but organized within their respective Chapters. At some point, I plan to move it over to one long linear doc, fill it out, and edit from there.

I had been thinking, at that point, I’d Export > Whole Tree > Word Format and drop that into a Google doc (then edit) before finally bringing it into Amazon Create for e-publishing.

Are there any insights that you can share that may save headaches/misery/sanity/months? I’d settle for anything that you stumbled onto later in the process that would have made it easier if only you had done something different earlier on in the process?

Thanks - and let me know how I can repay you!

1 Like

Hi John,

Gingkoapp is perfect for the initial stages of writing, of course. The export process was pretty painless. I’ve tried building a writing process around Google Docs for a novel before and had to abandon it because Docs slows noticeably with large documents. Or at least it did when I was trying it. Just break the book into parts until the end if you’re set on using Docs. It’s very doable.

The one thing I’d say is to make sure you don’t jump to Docs too soon. You can’t really go backwards. I wished a couple of times that I hadn’t been so quick to export.

On that note, if you do any coding whatsoever, do take advantage of the customization options available using javascript and css. For instance, I have the second column of my gingko tree set aside for actual draft. I’ve set the viewing text size on that column much smaller and the column width larger so that the cards aren’t awkwardly long and I can scan quickly over large parts of my draft. The fonts in the editing modes are set separately, so when I click to edit, I’ve suddenly got nice, large text to work with. The code for this is super-easy but makes such a huge difference:

#c2 .view {font-size: 70% !important} #c2 {width: 600px !important}

And I’ve made a couple dozen tweaks like that. Because of that, I’ll probably be staying in gingko for the entire drafting and editing process. I’ll be posting some of them to the forum soon, but this one was my favorite.

Good luck on your book! If you’ve got any tips or tricks for using gingko, I’d love to hear them as well.

SixSphinx - thank you for taking the time to respond! One quick question - are you using the original Gingko or the new version? (I’m asking b/c I’m unclear if the new version has that flexibility - when it comes to customizing the javascript & css. That is one of the hurdles I had been unsure how I might solve…the width of the cards when it comes to longer form writing.

I’m using the older version. I’ve looked at the new version but haven’t tried any code on it. I’m pretty sure that both online versions have the css/js built in if you just place it into a card somewhere on the tree inside style or script tags. If not, you could always use tampermonkey. It’s a chrome plugin that allows you to build userscripts to alter most websites.