Idea discussion: Zoomed out search

The current method of search allows you to scroll through isolated matches (I’m not sure what the proper term is, but what I mean is only displaying matched cards and hiding non-matches). IMO this is a powerful feature, but sometimes the downside is a loss of context. Often I just want to see matches with context (eg a matched card and its neighbors) or just in a normal, zoomed out view with matches highlighted among the sea of other cards.

My suggested solution would be to highlight matches (perhaps changing the color of the background to a light color or adding a thick colored border) and let users scroll through highlighted matches without isolating the cards or explore the tree themselves with the cards highlighted until they exit search. This, IMO, is a general search use case that any user would appreciate (“Will this be useful to everyone?”) as it gives users a different way of exploring/analyzing their search results in a more free, zoomed out forest view.

As @Adriano notes, it is important to avoid adding complexity to Gingko. I think it is hard to add this feature without a new checkbox or shortcut to allow users to toggle between a more zoomed in search (isolating matches - current search) versus zoomed out search (highlighting matches - my suggestion).

So now we have to ask, would this extra search view be worth the slightly extra complexity? IMO, yes, because it is a feature that almost any user can benefit from, enhances an existing feature, and offers a different way of exploring your tree, Any opinions/thoughts?

1 Like

Thanks for the well thought out feature request! I agree that there might be some changes to the search function that would improve things for everyone.

I’ll be thinking about this deeply soon, with this input in mind, when I implement the search function for the desktop app.

I’d appreciate any additional input, ideas, and discussion!

1 Like

Thanks for the well thought out feature request! I agree that there might be some changes to the search function that would improve things for everyone.

The Development Philosophy provides an excellent framework/system for making suggestions. I’m glad it was pinned to the top of the forum!

’ll be thinking about this deeply soon, with this input in mind, when I implement the search function for the desktop app.

I appreciate you taking the idea into consideration. If I come up other relevant ideas/suggestions related to search, I will bring them up here. I look forward to future updates and appreciate all the work up to this point!

I would like to second this idea.
It sounds like an excellent way to implement the missing search function in the desktop version.

And could it not also serve to filter tags? (see other thread/request)

This would seem to solve several use cases with one function. Thus reducing - rather than adding - complexity!