Gingko Desktop - New release (finally!)

There’s finally a new version of Gingko Desktop available.

Check your email if you’re already on the list, or sign up here if not:
http://beta.gingko.io

I’m sorry for the delay on this one, everyone! I made not just one, but a whole bunch of mistakes on top of each other. I hope I learned from some of them, at least :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

For the record, the mistakes I’m aware of were:

Mistake: Changed too many things at the same time.
Proposed Solution: Make one major change per release, at most.

Mistake: Long break and lost context. I worked intensely on the hardest part (getting the git-like), but then took a week and a half to recharge. By the time I got back into it, I had forgotten a good chunk and it took time to get back up to speed.
Proposed Solution: if I need to take a break, I can do so, but I should still work at least 5 minutes a day on it, to keep things fresh.

Mistake: Premature optimization… I spend a great deal of time trying to get a particular package working with my code, because I thought the simpler alternative would be “too slow”… (it wasn’t).
Proposed Solution: when hitting myself against a wall, ask “does this really need to be done?”

Feedback Please

Because of the aforementioned “changed too many things”, I need your feedback and bug reports on this release, more than any other.

Please post those here!
Thanks all of you for your continued support.

2 Likes

These all seem like reasonable mistakes to have made, and ultimately far better to make early in the project than closer to the end.

The “one major change per release” is going to help you a lot more than you may expect right now, because getting more frequent feedback from your audience is going to keep you more interested and engaged with doing the design and implementation. The carry-on effects from that are always fantastic.

“Premature optimization” is the bane of many programmers. When in doubt, brute force is your friend. Try it. It’s always easy to implement brute force and then decide/discover that it doesn’t do the job you need, but having implemented a solution (even if it’s the wrong one) you know what the problem is – and you can write the right solution in half the time or less.

Just started playing with the new Mac version of desktop app. Still a ways to go, but your efforts are much appreciated.

Of note thus far: The menu item “Import JSON file” does not work on my MacBook Pro Yosemite 10.12.6. Overall, it still seems a bit slower than the online version as well.

But no worries. As long as the offline version of the online app continues to work, we will be fine. Keep fighting the good fight. You will get there.

I’m running GalliumOS - a lightweight OS for Chromebooks built on Xubuntu

I opened the app, started a new tree with 3 total levels, 7 total text-only items. Then I clicked Help > Purchase License. That’s when I received the following error:

Uncaught Exception:
ReferenceError: openPaymentPage is not defined
at click (/opt/Gingko/resources/app.asar/electron.js:256:15)
at MenuItem.click (/opt/Gingko/resources/electron.asar/browser/api/menu-item.js:52:9)
at Function.executeCommand (/opt/Gingko/resources/electron.asar/browser/api/menu.js:121:15)

The “one major change per release” is going to help you a lot more than you may expect right now, because getting more frequent feedback from your audience is going to keep you more interested and engaged with doing the design and implementation. The carry-on effects from that are always fantastic.

Very good point, @SquidLord. The importance of momentum and engagement is something I hadn’t thought about as an added benefit from smaller/more frequent releases.

Thanks for the feedback from Mac, @Michael.

I’ll see about the “Import JSON file” menu item. Do the others work as expected?
And regarding “seems a bit slower”, is it slower to start up? Slower during typing? Choppy/non-smooth scrolling?

Keep fighting the good fight. You will get there.

:slight_smile:

Oops! I had removed the “Purchase License” options for now, but I didn’t realize I forgot to remove it from the menu.
Thanks @jasonwest

PS: Looked into GalliumOS. I use Xubuntu as my primary desktop, so it’s great to know I can install & run it on Chromebooks too!

Yeah, I installed GalliumOS on a $150 refurbished Chromebook I bought on woot.com. I absolutely love it!

I still can’t insert a card above or below the “main” card in the left column, though this is possible with the web app.

I have downloaded tar file, it opens up security which I allow – but it still won’t open up the app. Any suggestions?

Encountering an issue with Ctrl+Down or Ctrl+Up while in edit mode. As-is, it will create a sibling card and enter edit mode but will leave the contents of the previously edited card blank (if there was no prior-saved content in it. If content was saved previously, and then re-entered into edit mode to add more content before Ctrl+Down then only the most recent change would be lost on that card.).

Ctrl+Right is not impacted by this issue, it just ignores the command while it is in edit mode, as does the web version.

Many thanks for the continued improvement, Looking forward to testing it more.

[Edited to add this is on the Linux version, Ubuntu 16.04 64bit]

How do I sync it to my Gingko account? Can’t find an option to do that.

@loudandskittish : Yes, adding cards above/below the “main” card is still something I have to decide on and change in an upcoming release.

@David : Have you tried the other file for Mac? (zip file). Shouldn’t make a difference, but I can see that @Michael managed to open in Mac, so there could be a way.

Thanks @inkstain, I missed that bug. Added it to my list.

@vimoh : there’s no syncing available on this version. I wrote the underlying code to sync to (a new version) of the web app, but that’s not something you can do yet. What you can do is export from the web app, and “Import JSON” in the Desktop one. But I don’t recommend you do that yet, because I haven’t re-implemented “Export to JSON” so it’ll be tough to get things back into web app when/if you need to.

Thanks everyone for the continued feedback!

I’ll try to make a new release early next week, fate permitting.

Hi Adriano,

Do the other menu commands work as expected?

All but the ‘Zoom’ commands in the View Menu, which do not work with the menu or with the keycodes.

And regarding “seems a bit slower”, is it slower to start up? Slower during typing? Choppy/non-smooth scrolling?

Slightly slower when typing.

Also, I the following warning and errors appear in the console:

main.js:5493  Warning: Accessing createClass via the main React package is deprecated, and will be removed in React v16.0. Use a plain JavaScript class instead. If you're not yet ready to migrate, create-react-class v15.* is available on npm as a temporary, drop-in replacement. For more info see https://fb.me/react-create-class

main.js:5493 Warning: Accessing factories like React.DOM.circle has been deprecated and will be removed in v16.0+. Use the react-dom-factories package instead.  Version 1.0 provides a drop-in replacement. For more info, see https://fb.me/react-dom-factories

main.js:166 Warning: Unsupported style property stroke-width. Did you mean strokeWidth? Check the render method of `CommitsGraph`.

main.js:43481 elmCases failed: push null

main.js:44776 db.type() is deprecated and will be removed in a future version of PouchDB

guardedConsole @ main.js:44776

main.js:44776 db.type() is deprecated and will be removed in a future version of PouchDB

guardedConsole @ main.js:44776

main.js:43869 Uncaught ReferenceError: filepath is not defined
    at fs.readFile (main.js:43869)
    at FSReqWrap.readFileAfterClose [as oncomplete] (fs.js:439)

Hope this helps,
Michael

Downloaded Gingko Setup 0.1.4.exe and installed on my Windows 10 machine.
I am not able to open the files created using the previous desktop version.
Any idea?

Thanks for the detailed reply @Michael.

As for importing previous versions, they either have to be exported as JSON from the old version first, or you can send them to me via direct message or email and I’ll convert them for you.

I know it’s an inconvenience, but I wanted to release instead of waiting until I could import from the previous versions. The data format has changed in order to include version history and all the new potential features, which is why it can load from previous versions yet. I should have mentioned that in my email!

Hi Adriano
Like the new desktop version. The UI is (for me) far better than the web version. Once the desktop reaches the functionality of the web based version, it will be a winner.
As you know, other competitors are now in the field, so take heart, press on and never give up.
All the best
Adrian

1 Like

Hi All,

Quick update on the next release. I said I’d try for a release “early next week” a couple weeks ago, “fate permitting” as the Stoics say.

Well, fate did not permit!

Besides a major bug that I had to deal with, we’ve also had to spend a lot of time this week visiting a family member who was admitted to the hospital… things are slowly returning to normal, and I’m continuing to work on the next release.