Gingko 2 - Out of Beta! 0.8.0

Update: The startup problem with the Mac version seems to be a simple packing mistake.

I managed to “fix” it by copying the latest app.asar and electron.asar from the installed Windows 0.8.1 version into the downloaded gingko.app (Mac).

Starts up fine now and seems to run normally.

Thank you for this desktop version! Visually I prefer it to the online gingkoapp.

I suppose it says something that while I qualify to get this application for free, I’ve deliberately chosen to give you $20 for the pleasure and usefulness that Gingko has provided me in general.

Seriously, well done.

2 Likes

The Mac version does not open because of a problem. I am appending the relevant log hoping that it will help to resolve the issue.
Thanks!
Christoph

Process: Gingko [2714]
Path: /Applications/Gingko-1.app/Contents/MacOS/Gingko
Identifier: com.gingkoapp.desktop
Version: 0.8.1 (0.8.1)
Code Type: X86-64 (Native)
Parent Process: ??? [1]
Responsible: Gingko [2714]
User ID: 137450…

Date/Time: 2017-12-14 20:12:10.419 +0100
OS Version: Mac OS X 10.13.1 (17B1003)
Report Version: 12
Bridge OS Version: 3.0 (14Y661)
Anonymous UUID: 4F974DDC-EAE0-3FCD-F95F-EF0…

Sleep/Wake UUID: 36BA071A-609A-4477-A769-6…

Time Awake Since Boot: 10000 seconds
Time Since Wake: 480 seconds

System Integrity Protection: enabled

Crashed Thread: 0

Exception Type: EXC_CRASH (SIGABRT)
Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000
Exception Note: EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY

Termination Reason: DYLD, [0x1] Library missing

Application Specific Information:
dyld: launch, loading dependent libraries

Dyld Error Message:
Library not loaded: @rpath/Electron Framework.framework/Electron Framework
Referenced from: /Applications/Gingko-1.app/Contents/MacOS/Gingko
Reason: no suitable image found. Did find:
/Applications/Gingko-1.app/Contents/MacOS/…/Frameworks/Electron Framework.framework/Electron Framework: file too short
/Applications/Gingko-1.app/Contents/MacOS/…/Frameworks/Electron Framework.framework/Electron Framework: stat() failed with errno=1

Binary Images:
0x102e9f000 - 0x102e9fff7 +com.gingkoapp.desktop (0.8.1 - 0.8.1) /Applications/Gingko-1.app/Contents/MacOS/Gingko
0x10532c000 - 0x10537698f dyld (519.2.1) /usr/lib/dyld

Model: MacBookPro14,3, BootROM MBP143.0167.B00, 4 processors, Intel Core i7, 2,8 GHz, 16 GB, SMC 2.45f0
Graphics: Radeon Pro 555, Radeon Pro 555, PCIe, 2 GB
Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 630, Intel HD Graphics 630, Built-In
Memory Module: BANK 0/DIMM0, 8 GB, LPDDR3, 2133 MHz, 0x80CE, 0x4B3445424533303445…
Memory Module: BANK 1/DIMM0, 8 GB, LPDDR3, 2133 MHz, 0x80CE, 0x4B344542453330…
AirPort: spairport_wireless_card_type_airport_extreme (0x14E4, 0x173), Broadcom BCM43xx 1.0 (7.77.37xxxx)
Bluetooth: Version 6.0.0f1, 3 services, 27 devices, 1 incoming serial ports
Network Service: Wi-Fi, AirPort, en0
USB Device: USB 3.0 Bus
USB Device: iBridge
Thunderbolt Bus: MacBook Pro, Apple Inc., 22.3
Thunderbolt Bus: MacBook Pro, Apple Inc., 22.3

Hi Ryan. I will eventually be launching a new online version, which will coexist along side the current one for a while. I wanted to release this offline-only version as soon as I could, and work up to getting a full-sync online version.

To address your particular concerns: you will be able to use the current online version for quite a while (months? years?). And you’ll have plenty of time to transition to the new one (a process I hope to make streamlined/automatic).

Does that help?

1 Like

Thanks to everyone who’s reported issues. It seems that for mac at least, I jumped the gun on calling the beta “done”.

@ukuest That bit of problem solving really helps me pinpoint the issue. Thank you!

I have released 0.8.2, which should fix the issues on Mac.

Here is where you’ll be able to find the latest links, for all platforms:
https://gingko.io

I’ve tested it on my macOS Sierra virtual machine, and it runs fine, though you need to enable permissions since I don’t have a certificate yet. Here’s a short video where I bumble around until I finally find out how to do that :stuck_out_tongue: :

(I know, not pretty… but it’s a temporary landing page :wink: )

Please let me know if you have any issues, or if you don’t (both are useful information).
Thanks!

I’ve just installed in my Linux box, I’ll try it out. I use it on the web. I love Gingko.

2 Likes

The Mac version works fine now (MacOS Sierra).

Gingko 0.8.2 works fine for me on
Sierra 10.12.x iMac
High Sierra 10.13.2 MBP15

Does it support all functions in the web version? I have to use Latex for math.

LaTeX isn’t supported (yet). I don’t have a date for that, but I do want to include it eventually.

Thanks! That way, I have to stay with the web version, which is a bit expensive for a student.

Hi. Rediscovering Gingko, and pleasantly surprised with a desktop version just out of beta. I’ve downloaded 0.8.3, and it won’t install on my Windows 10 system. How can I send you the setup log?

@Adriano

I’ve been playing with the most recent build on my Mac. The current color scheme is wonderful and I love having a desktop app to use Gingko in. Great work!

Some quick friction points:

• ⌘ + right in edit mode creates a new card => this overrides the standard jumping to the end of line in Mac which has caused a lot of mis-creation of cards (note that ⌘ + left does the standard jump to beginning of line)
  • ⌘ + enter as a toggle to enter/exit edit mode in the online version versus enter to edit and ⌘ + enter to leave => Mode toggle as a single command like on the online version makes more sense to me than having it as separate commands

I’ll add more as I play.

@jmat I’m changing the installer I’m using for windows, so it’ll most likley not be an issue on the next 0.8.4 release.

@kjxymzy The Cmd+arrows bug is fixed for 0.8.4. As for Cmd+Enter to toggle, I’ll add that to the following release (in addition to regular Enter). I preferred Enter first, because it’s just one key that’s easily accessible from home row.

Thanks for the feedback :slightly_smiling_face:
Thing have been slow lately, because I’m working to get the certificates etc to have my installers verified… not fun, but necessary

1 Like

Thx for the update @Adriano!

Hi, and well done, the evolution of the desktop is outstanding!

Would it be possible to have a 32-bit Linux version?

Hi, Awesome Work there!

Just got myself the desktop version and wanted to ask you if you will be adding a way to export in Ginko format from the web-app to the Desktop version. Direct synch would also be pretty cool.

But nonetheless, thank you for the hard work!

1 Like

Hi there.

I plan to provide more build targets (as many as I can), once I get the build process more streamlined. It’s, unfortunately, a lot of work to build for all platforms.

As for the sync, yes you can already export/import from web to/from desktop, using the JSON format.

1 Like

Hi Adriano

a) wooooooooooo! I’m so happy for you!! (and also for me, and the world in general, because gingko is awesome!)

b) just downloaded the trial 0.8.4 (on High Sierra 10.13.2) played around with it a bit and have a few comments
(also a list of known bugs somewhere (and differences between the web and desktop implementations) would be good - don’t want to bug you with stuff you’re already well aware of!)

1. minor quibble: when I import a json, blank cards are getting added into my tree for no reason (seems to be one added under the first card in each of the first three columns)

2. another minor quibble: help isn’t fleshed out - mostly ran into this while trying to figure out whether something exists in the desktop version that I’m used to in the web version.

3. undo and redo are greyed out in the menu bar and non-functioning

4. no search function - this in particular is enough to make the desktop version unusable for me

5. (I’m pretty sure you’re aware of this but) adding pictures to cards. This is currently a major part of one of my online trees and while it imports fine, I’d like to be able to add pictures within the desktop version

6. I did get something weird moving cards around but I haven’t been able to reproduce it so it’s probably fine/it was just me - tried to move a card, I think I dropped it nowhere so it shouldn’t have moved but instead it disappeared. The next time I moved a card the “disappeared” one magically reappeared under the newly moved one.

feature request: ok so I’m not really sure how this would work, but perhaps something to think about. Also perhaps too annoying or complicated to actually implement.
I was trying to figure out how to use gingko with a bibliography or anything where you’d want to reference one card in multiple other cards in various places in the tree, like equations/methods/etc.
One way would be to copy/paste whole cards and put them in a lower branch but copy/pasting whole cards doesn’t exist yet and I can see this being confusing within the overall structure. Tags could be another workaround for this, but for referencing a bibliography that’s far too dependent on remembering which stupid tag you gave to which stupid reference, which I can never do!

What I really want is a way to refer to other cards in the tree without moving them. E.g. something where while you’re editing cardA you could write \ref and then move around the tree and click on the card you want to reference, cardB. Then in non-edit mode with the finished cardA text you’d get something like ->cardB which you could click on and it would take you to that card in the tree.

On a similar note a bunch of times when editing a card I want to copy/paste something from another card without having to exit edit mode, go to the other card, go into edit mode on that thing, select and copy stuff, go back into edit mode on the original card and then paste it.

Thanks again for bringing gingko into all our lives!