Temporary Backup

While doing creative work, I find that I really need to do periodic saves so that if I go too far out on a limb, I simply restore a previous version.

With Gingko this is fraught with peril - and time consuming. Currently I copy a file when I need a backup. Now I have lots of files with exactly the same name (and a 1 behind them).

Would it be reasonable to consider a way to rapidly save a copy of a file to a “.bak” - like we used to do in the old days?

OR… export/import? If I could hit the “export backup” hotkey, let the json be saved to my HDD/GDrive. Then I can always do an import as required. Process:

• hot key to backup
  • prompted for backup location/name
  • json saved

Import would be the reverse:

• menu to import
  • prompted for file location/name
  • json imported to tree

Hi there,

For this particular use case, the simplest I can imagine is to simply make a Copy of the tree.
It’s not ideal, and I would much prefer we had full version history. But that’s not available yet, so we do what we can.

Another alternative is to keep a tab open for the JSON export of the tree or subtree, and periodically save that.
Importing is then a simple copy/paste, plus “Ctrl+Shift+Enter”.

Does that help?

Nope, sorry. I’m not getting how you are importing the JSON file. PRETTY CERTAIN I’m missing something small here… but I don’t see how to import.

That said, I am encouraged that maybe you do have a system… please enlighten further sir!

Can you send me a private message with a link of the JSON you’re trying to import (or something similar, if it’s sensitive).
I’ll look into it.

Yes, I sense there’s a misunderstanding here somewhere :slight_smile:
Let’s figure it out.

I’m not sure what this means. After I export the json to a new tab, the json doesn’t automatically update as I edit the tree, does it?

You’re right, it doesn’t. But a quick F5 to refresh will give you latest.
Not ideal, but best we have so far.