Not seeing the whole long text in a single card

Hi. I’m not sure this exists, although I tend to think it does, being so useful.
It surely does, I’m just a bit new to gingko.
I write too long texts in single cards (chapters, really), and I’d like to see only the first few lines when of each one in the tree. Is that possible?
Thanks

Hi there,

It would be possible to make a hack for this, but the idea of Gingko is to be able to move/edit/etc small chunks of your text easily. If you’re writing whole chapters in a single card, you’re not getting the full power of Gingko!

Note you can easily split cards at the cursor (Ctrl+K), and merge them again. Also, exporting your tree automatically merges all you “paragraph”-sized cards into a full chapter (or what have you).

Does that help somewhat?

Yes, it helps.
At least I know it’s not possible.
I’ll try to find a way to write in smaller pieces, somehow, although it’s a flow of narrative without parts.
Still, I think it might be useful to be able to see only some snippet or so, like a deck of cards, and be able to move them around and change order and see a lot of them at once, like a map. It would for me.

Thank you very much!

Hi All,

I ended up implementing this “Collapse to headings” feature. You can now press z to collapse all children to the heading and/or first few lines.

Let me know what you think!

Hi Adriano,

This is an interesting feature in terms of temporarily reducing the overall visual real estate, but I think it would be much more useful if you could browse through the collapsed cards in that state, and then expand the ones you want to work with, either by hitting ‘z’ again, or some other key.

In fact, my preference would be to be able to collapse and expand cards either as a a branch of the tree, or individually, as needed, with the ability to expand them in the same way. Just a thought. I don’t know how much work is involved here . . .

Michael

Thanks @Michael

Yes, I agree the UI needs some work. My focus is still on the Desktop version, but eventually these features will be ported over there, so when it comes time to implement some kind of collapsing on Desktop, I’ll rework the UI with your feedback (and other’s) in mind.

I actually agree totally with Michael. The feature is not very useful if you can’t browse through the cards. I’d love to be able to see them like a map of the structure, visually in a glance: the tree without the leaves, the structure. It would be very helpful.
I’ll look forward to your next progress in this aspect. It’ll be great.
Thank you very much, anyway, Adriano!

Adriano,

I’m a new user and am thus reviving this topic. I posted yesterday on another shorter chain on the same topic. I saw this chain just this morning.

I understand the design principle of moving cards of text around. The issue is that when you have long cards, they push the other cards up or down and it is very easy to lose the context of what is before or after that card. In many cases, my cards will be long quotes from sources. It is more valuable to me to always “see the tree” — the outline of headings — except for the one card on which I am currently working. On the other cards, I only need to see the headings and maybe the first line or two of text.

1. The collapse feature should be a setting “Collapse cards to x lines” by default.
  2. When you click on a card to edit it, expand the full text.
    3).Have the option to expand/collapse just a card (I have not tried the Ctrl-z yet).
  3. Have the option to expand/collapse a card and its children.
  4. Have the option to expand/collapse a card and all of its progeny.

For the UI, I see a series of collapse/expand buttons on the bottom of each card with equivalent keyboard shortcuts to expand/collapse current, expand/collapse current and its immediate children and expand/collapse current and all progeny.

When collapsed, there needs to be a visual clue that there is more text. It might be something appended to the short text like “…Expand for more.” It is important that this be IN the text as that is where the user’s eye will be when trying to read the text.

BTW, it is my intention to use the browser-only versions of the tool, not the desktop.

Thanks for being responsive.