Gingko 2 - Out of Beta! 0.8.0

I’ll be sending this out to everyone on the beta list, but I thought I’d post it here first, for those of you who’ve been following along here on the forums. Thank you all for your help!

It’s far from where I want it to be, but I have to call it at some point, and so here we are :smile:!

Anyway, here’s the announcement going out soon:
Can someone please test the Mac download and install?
It’s the only platform where testing is very slow and difficult for me.

Hi there,

Gingko 2, the next iteration of gingkoapp.com, is finally out of beta!

You can download the latest here: for Windows, Mac, and Linux
UPDATE 2017-12-19: See the updated link here for latest verion 0.8.2.

What does that mean? It means I’m confident enough in the stability of the core operations (file saving, version history, etc), that I can recommend using it instead of gingkoapp.com, if you so choose*.

“Out of beta” also means that I’m going to start charging for the software. Gingko is my sole source of income, and I want to validate that this new version can continue to support me and my family going forward.

It’s going to be priced at a one-time $45 USD, with a generous “30 days of usage” free trial (i.e. if you use it only two days a week, it’ll last 15 weeks). I’m also allowing you to set your own discount or extra contribution… see payment page here for more details on this crazy experiment.

If you’d like to pay, thank you! But since you participated in the beta, you can choose to have a free license. Simply respond to this email, and I’ll send you your “email + serial number” combo, for free.

I want to thank you for your help in trying Gingko out, and for your feedback on the forums and elsewhere.

If you have any questions, thoughts, or issues, simply reply and I’ll do my best to help you.

With gratitude,
Adriano Ferrari

* Note: As with any software, there is never a 100% guarantee. If you’re writing something that you’d hate to lose, it’s always best to make frequent backups. The simplest way to do so, is to save your *.gko files to a Dropbox folder, or similar.

Congratulations! I just happen to visit the forums today (first time in several months) and it seems I was at the right place at the right time for this announcement.

45 dollars is way too high!!! Actually 45 dollars is way too low!!!. This is just a meditation experiment as there is a lot of significance with money and it’s good sometimes to get on a swing and experience the up and down movement that may come from those sentences. :smile: Everything is relative. Perhaps even humor :grinning:

I am proud of your progress in building something that can help sustain you and your family and future developments.

I remember saying to you I was trying to manage my automatic payments and I didn’t expect the charge for Gingko to come out and you were like “I will refund the charge” and you did. I felt bad because it wasn’t that much money and I had a sense you depended on Gingko for some form of income. I was impressed that you cared more about my satisfaction than the money. I eventually signed up again and automatic payments have been coming from my account even though I hardly use the product because I like the product enough to pay simply for the concept of actually using it even while not using it. Please don’t offer to refund those payments :grinning:

However, I’ve never checked out the offline version and will look forward to putting that to actual use. Thank you!

Congratulations Adriano!

Also I wanted to report that I’m getting this popup every time I run Gingko 0.8.0 Windows.

My system specifications:

Windows 10 Home (64-bit) Ver: 10.0.16299 Build 16299

Got it, thanks!!
Working on a fix right now, and will update the links soon.

Ok, @jimkricket I updated the link with a fix. Please uninstall the version you have, and install the new one. Let me know :slight_smile:

Hi Garfield, good to hear from you!

That’s a first :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:!

I appreciate the support, but let me know if you ever decide to cancel. I want Gingko to be self-sustaining, which means that it generates enough to support me and future developments (perhaps also future developers), on its own merits.

Each is true for someone! That’s why I’m offering the “set your own discount” option I mentioned :wink:

Hooray no popup!

Thank you! :heart_eyes:

Are you going to update the online version with the improvements here (or is it the same as the online version)? I was going to purchase a Chromebook solely because Gingko can be used online and replaces software I use for the same purposes.

Congratulations, Adriano!

Windows version works well.

Unfortunately, the Mac version crashes at startup. Report below.
The 0.1.7 version worked okay. Hope this helps.

ukuest

Exception Type: EXC_CRASH (SIGABRT)
Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000
Exception Note: EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY

Termination Reason: DYLD, [0x1] Library missing

Application Specific Information:
dyld: launch, loading dependent libraries

Dyld Error Message:
Library not loaded: @rpath/Electron Framework.framework/Electron Framework
Referenced from: /Applications/Gingko.app/Contents/MacOS/Gingko
Reason: no suitable image found. Did find:
/Applications/Gingko.app/Contents/MacOS/…/Frameworks/Electron Framework.framework/Electron Framework: file too short

Binary Images:
0x10ed39000 - 0x10ed39ff7 +com.gingkoapp.desktop (0.8.1 - 0.8.1) /Applications/Gingko.app/Contents/MacOS/Gingko
0x11c925000 - 0x11c962dc7 dyld (433.5) <322C06B7-8878-311D-888C-C8FD2CA96FF3> /usr/lib/dyld

Update: The startup problem with the Mac version seems to be a simple packing mistake.

I managed to “fix” it by copying the latest app.asar and electron.asar from the installed Windows 0.8.1 version into the downloaded gingko.app (Mac).

Starts up fine now and seems to run normally.

Thank you for this desktop version! Visually I prefer it to the online gingkoapp.

I suppose it says something that while I qualify to get this application for free, I’ve deliberately chosen to give you $20 for the pleasure and usefulness that Gingko has provided me in general.

Seriously, well done.

The Mac version does not open because of a problem. I am appending the relevant log hoping that it will help to resolve the issue.
Thanks!
Christoph

Process: Gingko [2714]
Path: /Applications/Gingko-1.app/Contents/MacOS/Gingko
Identifier: com.gingkoapp.desktop
Version: 0.8.1 (0.8.1)
Code Type: X86-64 (Native)
Parent Process: ??? [1]
Responsible: Gingko [2714]
User ID: 137450…

Date/Time: 2017-12-14 20:12:10.419 +0100
OS Version: Mac OS X 10.13.1 (17B1003)
Report Version: 12
Bridge OS Version: 3.0 (14Y661)
Anonymous UUID: 4F974DDC-EAE0-3FCD-F95F-EF0…

Sleep/Wake UUID: 36BA071A-609A-4477-A769-6…

Time Awake Since Boot: 10000 seconds
Time Since Wake: 480 seconds

System Integrity Protection: enabled

Crashed Thread: 0

Exception Type: EXC_CRASH (SIGABRT)
Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000
Exception Note: EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY

Termination Reason: DYLD, [0x1] Library missing

Application Specific Information:
dyld: launch, loading dependent libraries

Dyld Error Message:
Library not loaded: @rpath/Electron Framework.framework/Electron Framework
Referenced from: /Applications/Gingko-1.app/Contents/MacOS/Gingko
Reason: no suitable image found. Did find:
/Applications/Gingko-1.app/Contents/MacOS/…/Frameworks/Electron Framework.framework/Electron Framework: file too short
/Applications/Gingko-1.app/Contents/MacOS/…/Frameworks/Electron Framework.framework/Electron Framework: stat() failed with errno=1

Binary Images:
0x102e9f000 - 0x102e9fff7 +com.gingkoapp.desktop (0.8.1 - 0.8.1) /Applications/Gingko-1.app/Contents/MacOS/Gingko
0x10532c000 - 0x10537698f dyld (519.2.1) /usr/lib/dyld

Model: MacBookPro14,3, BootROM MBP143.0167.B00, 4 processors, Intel Core i7, 2,8 GHz, 16 GB, SMC 2.45f0
Graphics: Radeon Pro 555, Radeon Pro 555, PCIe, 2 GB
Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 630, Intel HD Graphics 630, Built-In
Memory Module: BANK 0/DIMM0, 8 GB, LPDDR3, 2133 MHz, 0x80CE, 0x4B3445424533303445…
Memory Module: BANK 1/DIMM0, 8 GB, LPDDR3, 2133 MHz, 0x80CE, 0x4B344542453330…
AirPort: spairport_wireless_card_type_airport_extreme (0x14E4, 0x173), Broadcom BCM43xx 1.0 (7.77.37xxxx)
Bluetooth: Version 6.0.0f1, 3 services, 27 devices, 1 incoming serial ports
Network Service: Wi-Fi, AirPort, en0
USB Device: USB 3.0 Bus
USB Device: iBridge
Thunderbolt Bus: MacBook Pro, Apple Inc., 22.3
Thunderbolt Bus: MacBook Pro, Apple Inc., 22.3

Hi Ryan. I will eventually be launching a new online version, which will coexist along side the current one for a while. I wanted to release this offline-only version as soon as I could, and work up to getting a full-sync online version.

To address your particular concerns: you will be able to use the current online version for quite a while (months? years?). And you’ll have plenty of time to transition to the new one (a process I hope to make streamlined/automatic).

Does that help?

Thanks to everyone who’s reported issues. It seems that for mac at least, I jumped the gun on calling the beta “done”.

@ukuest That bit of problem solving really helps me pinpoint the issue. Thank you!

I have released 0.8.2, which should fix the issues on Mac.

Here is where you’ll be able to find the latest links, for all platforms:
https://gingko.io

I’ve tested it on my macOS Sierra virtual machine, and it runs fine, though you need to enable permissions since I don’t have a certificate yet. Here’s a short video where I bumble around until I finally find out how to do that :stuck_out_tongue: :

(I know, not pretty… but it’s a temporary landing page :wink: )

Please let me know if you have any issues, or if you don’t (both are useful information).
Thanks!

I’ve just installed in my Linux box, I’ll try it out. I use it on the web. I love Gingko.

The Mac version works fine now (MacOS Sierra).

Gingko 0.8.2 works fine for me on
Sierra 10.12.x iMac
High Sierra 10.13.2 MBP15

Does it support all functions in the web version? I have to use Latex for math.

LaTeX isn’t supported (yet). I don’t have a date for that, but I do want to include it eventually.

Thanks! That way, I have to stay with the web version, which is a bit expensive for a student.