Collapsible Cards - Would you like this feature? (video preview)

The idea is to make the user experience a little neater. I created a little video using some javascript inside the card to make this work. I would just like to see the titles and use that as my guide so it is more of an outline. When and only when I want to see a greater level of detail would I want to expand and devote screen space to that information. The other titles would remain collapsed and not take up space. Perhaps it can be done by adding this code to the source and automatically filling in the unique card detail info into the part of the javascript that requires a unique attribute?

Not sure but I think it is possible. Video demo below

Video Link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ul8cnwXoLE8

2 Likes

Ok, looks like after some searching I found some markdown code on the following discussion that may help to provide an approximate solution

Collapsible Contents

New Issue:

Now just want to figure out a way to be able to expand and collapse with the keyboard without having to use the mouse.

1 Like

Found a solution to this and wondering how many other Gingko Users would find this helpful. If so, please leave a comment. If not, then as you were :slight_smile:

differentlevels

Just take a look at the You Tube Video below. Another benefit of this is using Gingko as a flash card solution. This is possible if you have collapsible cards. Let me know your thoughts.

2 Likes

I would love this. I came to the discussion group specifically looking to see if this feature existed or had been requested. Please implement!

2 Likes

Glad to hear it. This is a DIY project. Using my own custom code. I can provide you with the code I use and you can test it out on your end. Just need to make some final tweaks. I also have another project that compliments this one which I’ll post about soon.

2 Likes

@Garfield

It looks wonderful. The transitions are also silky smooth. Would love a feature like this.

Do you have any plans for any indicators that a card has hidden text?

The way I envision it every card is collapsed until you are ready to view it so a “thin outline” is maintained throughout for the purpose of easy navigation.

I outsourced the creation of the code to developer and it works now Just have to install it inside one of the cards in the tree.

2 Likes

I would also like to have a feature to “collapse cards”. The issue is that some longer cards push other cards up/down and you can thus lose context.

This might be better implemented as “show me the first x lines of cards” as a default in settings and the ability to expand/collapse each card individually to override the default. Collapsing the card would return it to the default.

I also saw a comment regarding whether there should be a visual indicator if text is hidden. I agree that a visual indicator is welcome. I suggest it be in the text itself so that you don’t have to look elsewhere to know there is more text. It could possibly a simple “…read more” link.

Hi Garfield. I just saw your video and it looks fantastic. Just what I need. Would you kindly send me the code?

Thanks a lot.

Vishnu

I would love this feature. As a screenwriter it makes it easier to glance at the story but unfortunately I don’t know anything about coding so wouldn’t know how to add it in to the source code

I will post the code for this shortly. This will only work on the web version.

1 Like

Hi, Garfield,
Any progress on this? It’s just great how you can improve Gingkoapp like this.
I know nothing of programming but I’d love to be able to use this feature I’ve been waiting for for years.
Would it be possible?
How is it? Would you give me a code I should stick somewhere…?
I’d appreciate it very very much,

1 Like

Thank you for your reply. Your comment has spurred me on to get back on this and update this conversation. I will post within a couple of hours.

For anyone who would like this feature. You can get it now. Just send an email to me with the subject “Collapsible Cards” to garfield (at) careercenters.com.

I would like to keep in touch with Gingko customers who use this so I set it up this way. If I or anyone else who uses this comes up with improvements or updates we can all benefit.

I can also share some other tips and tricks I have come up with using Gingko.

Just send an email using that exact subject (no quotes) and you will receive an automatic reply with the instructions you need to set up Collapsible Cards!

1 Like

Wow, this was fast Thank you!

1 Like

Really happy my post has passed 1K views. :grinning:

I would just like to take time to thank all of you who have viewed this topic and found interest in it. If you would like to try this system of Collapsible Cards it’s very simple.

How to get Collapsible Card on your Gingko

• Open a New email window using your email application
  • In the To: address put in "garfield@careercenters.com" (required)
  • Type “Collapsible Cards” as the subject (required)
  • In the body write your contact email or info if it is different from your send to address. You can also add any relevant comments (optional)
  • Click Send

I set this email with a rule in outlook to auto-respond with an email that includes an attachment with instructions and code to get this working for you. This way the process is all automated and you get a response right away without the need to monitor my email and respond to you individually.

It also allows me to keep in touch if I make any updates.

If you have any questions let me know by just replying to this discussion. Hopefully those who have already done this are enjoying this cool feature in your online version of Gingko.